CBC | Canadian News

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

SOUTH OF NO NORTH - Charles Bukowski

Here is a book I finished September 13th 2014 at 11:10am while at work.  The full working title of the book is; South of No North - Stories of the Buried Life. Although only South of No North appears on the cover.

The idea to read this book came from a preexisting love of Bukowski.  I have over 13 of his novels and collected poems, all of which will be reviewed here.  As I was strolling through the bookstore on my birthday last month I came across this one.  Realizing I did not own it yet, it was a must read - but first a must buy.

Without giving too much away, this book was first published in 1973 (4 years before I was born)  It is compiled of 27 short stories that one would expect from Bukowski.  Tales from the race track, tales of the drunk and downtrodden, and unspeakable sexual acts not fit to be said out-loud.  These are just a few of the reasons why fans of Bukowski love him so dearly.  As with the rest of his works they are partially autobiographical and give the reader the all too familiar glance into a day in the life.  The reoccurring Hank Chinaski is a common thread on the adventures depicted throughout, a character Bukowski loyalist are all too familiar with.  There were a few in here that really made my stomach turn, and this is not what I am used to with Bukowski so it was nice to be surprised. (not that it's a nice feeling - fans catch my drift.)  

My top 5 in this collection are:  1.  Politics. (I just really enjoyed the way this ended)  2.  Love For $17.50. (A strange tale about a man who falls in love with a mannequin.  Not too far off from some recent documentaries I've seen about men falling in love with sex dolls - very unusual story)  3.  The Killers. (Black humor at its finest, about a couple of burglars and a comical analysis on lack of remorse. The ending got me.)  4.  Stop Staring at My Tits Mister (A Bukowski-style dark western, again with a shocking end I did not see coming - although should have.  This was one of the stories that left an impression to say the very least.  I am undecided if that impression is good. ) 5.  Pittsburgh Phil & Co. (a tale from the race track, a nice twist of fate with the Bukowski finish I enjoy)

I recommend this book for those trying to complete their Bukowski collection.  This book has a few gems you don't want to be without.  Listed above are 5 that really stood apart from the rest for me.

This book in this picture is 189 pages long and it took me 3 days to read.

On my sliding scale I gave this book an 8/10.  It was typical Bukowski, he doesn't change much as all fans know.  There were parts in this one that made me cringe, not unlike some of his others.  I wouldn't change him for the world. Check this one out of you're a fan.  If not, run far away in the other direction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment