CBC | Canadian News

Saturday, June 7, 2014

THE ART OF LIVING - Epictetus

Here is a book I finished in 2006.  Sadly, I did not record the month or time like I try and do, however '2006' was written on the inside cover in my hand writing so I know this year is accurate.

The idea to read this book came as a recommendation from a good friend; Mac Pearsall.  He and I used to work in a small cafe kitchen during that year, and to pass the time we often discussed the books we were reading.  Mac was interested in Stoic Philosophy at the time and was immersing himself  in various books regarding the topic. Being a philosophy major, I had heard  of Stoicism as well as the name 'Epictetus' many times prior.

Without giving too much away, this book is translated from his original, ancient text, to paint the picture for readers that human beings can simply have no 'real' control over life, but can more accurately only control their either, positive, or negative responses to it. By putting the small chapters of this book into manageable daily practices, the reader can be trained that they ought to be able to handle the all too common disappointments of modern life with renewed confidence; that everything is out of their control, and therefore not worth worrying about.

From the history books it is said that Epictetus was born into slavery about 55 AD in the eastern outreaches of the Roman Empire, once freed he established an influential school of Stoic philosophy. I won't go into detail here, as WIKI can explain it better.

I recommend this book for anyone interested in stoic philosophy which should go without saying, but the book can also act as a guide for everyday living. I have heard of people giving copies of this book to friends and family when seeing them losing ground in their everyday affairs.  It's amazing how when reading something written so simply that it can change the entire outlook you might have on certain aspects of your own life.  Those who read motivational books like those written by Anthony Robbins will see that Epictetus' ancient philosophy has become a highly marketable motivational teaching...this isn't entirely a bad thing, I suppose if it helps you get out of bed in the morning than there must be some good in that...but somehow it feels wrong to me; that what started out as a revolutionary (for its time) school of thought is now a pocket book for adjusting your mind into a state of 'getting by' and accepting the things you can't really change.  Regardless of all this, its a 'feel-good' read and most certainly has something in it for everyone...especially if you're looking.

This book is 113 pages long.  It is broken up into short page long chapters, making it easy to digest for one, but also something simple to pick up and use on a day to day basis without cutting in to your busy life schedule. I imagine, due to this fact, that one would be able to read it over a day with very little effort.

On my sliding scale I give this book a solid 10/10 as it serves its designed purpose; a motivational book that helps the reader to not sweat the little things in life and to help them build a foundation upon which they can set clear mental goals and build character reflected by a helpful reminder that there are just things in life that deserve your time, and stress and pain are not some of those things.  My only regret is that I am unable to tell how much was lost in translation from Epictetus' original works to this put-in-your-pocket, self-help section, motivational  version. If anything this book left me hungry to study the true philosophy behind Stoicism, and when you start that journey things can get quite interesting.  Happy trails to those of you looking to become what the Stoics of Epictetus' time called a 'Sage'.  If you figure out how to get there please leave a comment and explain how.

2 comments:

  1. You were the one who recommended this book to me AND purchased a copy of it for me to keep as my own. This review has reminded me I need to dig it out and re-read it - it's that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it - thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete