CBC | Canadian News

Sunday, September 1, 2013

MONSTER - Sanyika Shakur (aka, Monster Kody Scott)

Here is a book I originally finished summer of 2006. 

The idea to read this book came from a magazine article I read where the author was interviewed.  I have tried to reference that article but sadly it couldn't be found, as it was so long ago.

I have always been obsessed with violence and violent behavior.  I am uncertain if this is becasue I was born and raised watching action movies with my dad or if it is some primal form of the 'kill it or fuck it' male instinct that Ken Wilber talks about in some of his books.  Regardless, I enjoy immensely hearing about violence, it downright fascinates me how evil some people can be.  I can safely say that I myself don't have murderous urges, but I just enjoy reading about it...possibly becasue it is so foreign to me? or maybe becasue I have always been raised in areas where that wasn't a real fear?  I don't know.

It can be easy to miss the underlying message in this book due to it's fairly graphic depiction of gang life in LA. However to me, this book speaks in volumes about the importance of education in areas of socioeconomic disadvantage.   It might not be a familiar story for some, but personally I feel pop-culture has done more than enough for any of us to understand what a 'ghetto' is and who lives there and why...the purpose of this review is not to go that deep.  I will just assume you understand what I am talking about.

I recommend this book for anyone who is an educator in any capacity, to show the sheer power of educations strength as it takes a hardened gang-banger like 'Monster' Kody Scott and turns him into a leader in his community during his metamorphosis into Sanyika Shakur.  The books flat-out paints the picture of Kody Scott being sent to jail over the course of his life - while there he learns from other inmates and from educational programs which he is exposed to only becasue he is in jail.  Over time he begins to see that his life of violence was never his choice, it was almost the only option a black man had in the area he lived in.  He grows and learns to take new forms of action, one I urge anyone interested to read on their own so I don't spoil it. 

Over all this books just says to me that education is the key...independent thought, the ability to freely research and form an unbiased opinion...all elements of creating that well oiled identity necessary to survive in even the most unthinkable areas.  Although the author would probably laugh off this review, given after all by a white man who grew up in 'safe' white-suburbia.  I hope anyone reading this can at least somewhat see what I am trying to depict.  Great read.

This book is 383 pages and took me several days to finish.  On my sliding scale I gave this book a solid 9/10.  Mostly for the allowance the reader gave me, to peer safely into his world of utter madness without repercussions, and for the sheer delight of seeing first hand why I have always loved education in almost ALL forms.  I would love to see more from this author.


No comments:

Post a Comment